Follow the steps below if your Xbox Series X shuts off unexpectedly while in use. If your Xbox turns on but your TV or monitor displays no signal check out the Xbox Series X Black Screen wiki instead.
Settings Cause the Xbox to Turn Off While it is Sleeping
If your Xbox turns off after a period of inactivity and you don't want it to, adjust the settings so it does not automatically turn off.
- Press the Xbox button on the controller to open the guide.
- Select the Settings option (cog icon).
- Select Power & startup, then Turn off after.
- Select your preferred period of inactivity before the console automatically powers down.
The Xbox is Not Getting Power
- Plug the power supply cord into a different wall outlet, and check that the cord is properly plugged into the outlet and the console.
- Note: Inspect the power cord for any damage. If the cord is not damaged and your console is getting power, move to the next steps.
The Console is Overheating Due to Poor Ventilation
Ensure your console has proper ventilation.
- Turn off the console.
- Wait at least an hour.
- Move the console to a well-ventilated location where there are no objects on, under, or right next to the console. Ensure that all of the vents are clear and have good airflow.
- Restart the console.
- If you still have ventilation trouble, make sure the vents are clean. In some cases, you may need to clean or replace the fan.
Malfunctioning Power Supply
Check the power supply.
- If the light is solid white or orange, then the power supply is working properly.
- If there is no light, unplug the supply and let it cool for 20 minutes, then try plugging it back in.
- If it still does not light up, you may need to replace the power supply.