Wow, sounds like we are on parallel paths !
I just finished mine within 18 hours of yours, a process over several days.
I opted to use a silicone adhesive in case I needed to peel it back again.
But I removed the frame just as you have described.
I also taped off the button hole and camera hole to keep the silicone based glue off of that area while I spread it.
Be careful not to lose or damage that button as you separate the frame from the glass, and put it back when mounting/gluing the frame.
The silicone is a little high on the button side and the button is now recessed slightly, but still works. Also a word on the inside of the glass to protect it well during the process as you want it really clean when you marry it with the LCD.
Overall I'm happy with the recovery.
Good luck with yours !