iPhone 4 (CDMA/Verizon) Display Repaired (With Parts Left Over!?)
1 - 3 時間
A customer brought in an iPhone 4 with a badly cracked (smashed is more like it) front display. After scouring about the internet -- well, not really, I knew iFixit would be the place to go -- I ordered the Display Assembly and iPhone 4 Liberation Kit.
The whole process went very well. The kit arrived as promised and the repair went very smoothly. From start to finish, it took about 2 hours. I've done many Mac repairs, but this was my first iPhone repair, so I went extra-slowly. I must also give a hat-tip to my lighted magnifier: some of those screws are the tiniest I've ever seen!
I did have one problem though: when I was attempting to reinstall the logic board (step 21 in reverse), a small rubber bumper came loose from 'somewhere' on the board (I think). I've attached a photo of the bumper, so maybe somebody can identify where it belongs. It's seldom good when you've got parts left over!
One other note: the screws that came with the iPhone liberation kit are shorter than the pentalobe screws in the iPhone 4 (CDMA/Verizon). Not being sure whether that would matter, I chickened out and reused the pentalobe screws.
I had a few issues with the guide, and I left the following notes in the appropriate places:
For step 6: Be aware that the pull tab is not actually attached to the battery. It is attached to the iPhone chassis, and is only used to separate the battery from the adhesive. (Don't expect it to come out with the battery!)
Also, the adhesive is VERY strong. I had to use my plastic opening tool to assist in prying the battery loose. This was probably the most nerve-wracking part of the job. Fortunately, I had watched MJ's teardown video where she specifically mentioned that.
For step 16: Be sure to check the notes section of that page, particularly the one from 'boo' who very accurately describes what I saw too. Whether the guide is incorrect or there are actually two different order of arrangement, I can't say.
For step 21: Scout about and identify the location of that rubber bumper before it comes off!
Last note: this screen was so badly smashed that it did not come away from the chassis whole. A few small pieces, about 2x5mm, were stuck to the adhesive in the vicinity of the home button. I only noticed when the new display assembly wouldn't seat properly. Getting those glass shards off that adhesive was a real pain. (Not literally -- I didn't cut myself or anything.)