PC Crashes When Closing Games or Occasionally Mid-Game - Need Help
Problem Description: I've been facing a persistent and frustrating issue with my custom-built PC for the past six months, and I've exhausted almost every troubleshooting step I can think of. I'm hoping that the knowledgeable members of this forum can provide some insights or suggestions to help me resolve this issue.
- Crashes: The problem primarily manifests when I'm closing games, but it can also occur during gameplay or shortly after booting up my PC. These crashes are characterized by a loss of display signal, and at times, the display shows a solid color like green, blue, or purple.
- Audio: In most cases, I can still hear audio from my system, including Discord calls with friends. However, sometimes the audio also crashes, resulting in the last second of audio repeating rapidly until a hard reset is performed.
- Resolution: The only way to resolve the issue is to perform a hard reset via the case power button. Sometimes, after a hard reset and when my desktop loads, the computer may crash again.
- Affected Games: While this problem occurs with various games like SMITE, Age of Empire IV, and Roblox, it's worth noting that Mount & Blade: Bannerlord consistently causes crashes, particularly shortly after a battle.
- CPU: Upgraded from an i7-8700K to an i5-12600K
- Motherboard: Replaced Asus Z390-P with an MSI PRO Z690-A
- GPU: Originally an ROG STRIX GTX 1080, temporarily swapped with a GTX 1660 SUPER
- RAM: 32GB Corsair 3000MHz
- PSU: EVGA 750 Watt
- Operating System: Upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11
Troubleshooting Steps Taken:
- RAM, GPU, and power cables reseated, and contacts cleaned.
- PSU output tested using a PSU tester.
- GPU power cables inspected with a multimeter, found no abnormalities.
- Amp reader used to calculate a load of around 350 watts under load.
- Windows reinstallation (upgraded to Windows 11).
- Windows memory test yielded no issues.
- GPU swap with no issues observed on the second PC.
- Mount & Blade: Bannerlord tested on the second PC without crashes.
- No error codes are displayed during these crashes.
- Event log shows errors related to hard-rebooting.
- The problem doesn't occur during every gaming session and can be intermittent.
- Windows and drivers are kept up-to-date.
- As a former computer technician, I've tried a wide range of troubleshooting steps.
Request for Assistance: I'm reaching out to this community in the hopes that someone might have encountered a similar issue or could provide fresh insights into what might be causing these crashes. I'm hesitant to replace my GPU without being certain that it's the root cause, given that the issue seems to disappear when using a different GPU temporarily.
Any suggestions, advice, or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!