Converting a internal hard drive to a usb external
How cani converta internal hard drive to a USB external hard drive? And where to get them cheap?
You don't say what computer you have or what drive you want to move so here is a listing of a variety of enclosures one of witch should meet your needs. If you check the site they have videos showing how to do the changeover. I would post a computer teardown for you but I don't know what computer will be the donor unit for the hard drive. I hope its a intel unit but the ppc can be made to work--let me know if that's the case and I'll post a how to. Ralph
Here's the things you need to know when getting an external enclosure for a drive:
1. Is the drive a 2.5" notebook drive or a 3.5" desktop drive?
2. Does the drive have a 40/44 pin IDE interface or a 7-pin SATA interface?
3. Which external interface do you want the enclosure to have:
- 3a. USB 2.0 (most common)
- 3b. USB 3.0 (brand new these days; rare, but the fastest)
- 3c. Firewire 400 (better for Macs; faster than USB 2.0)
- 3d. Firewire 800 (better for the newest Macs; even faster)
- 3e. Some combination of the above (ie, USB 2.0 + Firewire 400)?
4. Cooling capacity: if the drive runs hot, be sure the enclosure can cool it, either with a fan or adequate conduction and radiation.
5. Power capacity: some older hard drives use more power than some newer enclosures provide. Be sure the enclosure provides more amps than the drive uses (for both 5V and 12V on desktop drives). Many enclosures for notebook drives are powered solely by USB connection: a drive using under 500 mA can get by with a single USB connector; 500 - 1000 mA must use 2 USB connectors always; over 1000 mA cannot be USB powered.
6. Do you want an enclosure that can hold multiple drives? How many? Do you want RAID/JBOD capability (various ways to make multiple drives act like a more-capable single drive).
7. Color & style. There are lots of choices.
My favorite place to shop for things like this is Newegg.com. They have good pictures, specs, and user reviews (and decent prices).
過去 24時間: 0
過去 7 日: 2
過去 30 日: 8