Why can't I get past the gray screen?
Panic mode has set in!
Have done the following:
1. Disconnect, test peripheral devices and network cables. Made no difference.
2. Perform a Safe Boot. Would not perform a safe boot.
3. Reset the NVRAM/PRAM. Made no difference.
4. Start from your Mac OS X Install disc; use Disk Utility. Won't do it.
5. Check your cables and power source. Made no difference.
6. Remove third-party RAM and internal hardware. Made no difference.
7. Perform an Archive and Install installation of Mac OS X. Can't do it.
8. Perform an Erase and Install installation of Mac OS X as a last resort. Not willing to do that, because I really need a couple of things that are sitting on my hard drive.
Is there anything I can do to retrieve the information that I need from the hard drive?