DVD player not reading discs
my JVC TH-G31 suddenly says can't read disc. Is it the laser light and if so can it be replaced
Have you tried cleaning the lens? Use a Q-Tip lightly moistened with Isopropyl Alcohol +90% to gently wipe the lens surface and see if that fixes it. Alternatively you can purchase lens cleaning kits which may be simpler to use.
It may not be the lens that is the problem.
Here is a link to the service manual for your player.
To download the file when the sentence below the Document preview box changes from This file is downloadable free of charge: ...processing... to This file is downloadable free of charge: Get Manual, click on the Get Manual as this is the download link. Be patient as it takes a little while to find the file.
If you scroll to Sect.5-1 in the first section of the manual, there is a troubleshooting flowchart that describes what to look for when you get your problem . There are also schematic diagrams of the entire system as well as voltage reference tables which all should be of some help.
If the problem is the optical sensor then here is the part number LG-6871R-9297M item #9 found in Sect 3-6 and the part number in Sect 3-7 of the Schematics Section of the manual. Search online using just that number only to get results for suppliers of the part. Be aware of the following when handling the optical pickup (Go to p1-15 or section 220.127.116.11 in the first section of the manual).:
''Handling the optical pickup
• In order to maintain quality during transport and before installation, both sides of the laser diode on the replacement optical pickup are shorted. After replacement, return the shorted parts to their original condition. (Refer to the text.)
• Do not use a tester to check the condition of the laser diode in the optical pickup. The tester's internal power source can easily destroy the laser diode''
Hopefully this is of some help.
The possible causes of DVD player not reading disc include:
▪ The DVD disc isn't placed properly.
▪ The disc is dirty, damaged or burned in player-incompatible format.
▪ The loading tray doesn't work well.
▪ The laser lens is dirty and needs cleaning.
▪ The servo doesn't work well.
Past 24 Hours: 2
Past 7 Days: 16
Past 30 Days: 80