PNY CS 1311 SSD doesn't work attached to internal HDD cable. Why?
I recently got a new SSD (PNY CS 1311 - 480 GB.) The drive itself seems good – it works fine when attached by USB to my MacBook Pro (MBP) and by USB and SATA to my PowerEdge SC440 and my girlfriend's Latitude E6540 – but I can't get my MBP to work with it when it's attached to the internal hard drive (HDD) cable.
Here are some symptoms when the SSD is attached to the HDD cable:
- If I try to install OS X 10.11 to the SSD (GUID partitioned with 1 blank HSFS+ partition) using a USB installer, the partition on the drive is available as an installation target, but the installation fails with the error message: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."
- If I try to erase or partition the SSD (un-partitioned) using the USB installer's Disk Utility, I can see the disk but get errors like "Couldn't read to end of disk."
- If I try to erase or partition the SSD (GUID partitioned with 1 blank HSFS+ partition) using Disk Utility in the USB installer, I get the error message: "Couldn't unmount disk."
- If OS X is installed to the SSD, which I can do by attaching it through USB, and I try to boot, I get the question-mark folder.
None of these are a problem if the drive is attached by USB; when attached by USB, the drive can be erased, partitioned, installed/duped to, and booted from to run OS X without issue.
So far, I've tried:
- Reset MBP NVRAM/PRAM & SMC.
- Verified that the MBP EFI & SMC firmware are up to date.
- Replaced hard drive cable with new one (from eBay.)
- Verified that SSD firmware is up to date (thanks to Dan for this suggestion.)
Anyone know why this doesn't work or what I can do to fix it?