Steering wheel column lock
How do you repair a bad or bent steering column lock?
The Jeep Grand Cherokee was redesigned for the 1999 model year; the 2000 models have minimal changes. This model is also known as Jeep WJ.
Cliff Corriveau, looks like you will have to replace the ignition lock. Here is what the service manual says:
"WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, REFER TO 8M - PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.IGNITION SWITCH REMOVAL
IGNITION SWITCH REMOVAL
The ignition key must be in the key cylinder for
cylinder removal. The key cylinder must be removed
first before removing ignition switch.
(1) Remove key cylinder. Refer to previous steps.
(2) Remove lower steering column cover screws and remove cover (Fig. 19).
(3) Remove ignition switch mounting screw (Fig.17). Use tamper proof torx bit to remove the screw.
(4) Using a small screwdriver, push on locking tab (Fig. 15) and remove switch from steering column.
(5) Disconnect two electrical connectors at rear of ignition switch (Fig. 17).
IGNITION SWITCH INSTALLATION
The ignition key must be in the key cylinder for cylinder removal. The key cylinder must be removed first before removing ignition switch.
(1) Before installing ignition switch, rotate the slot in the switch to the ON position (Fig. 16).
(2) Connect two electrical connectors to rear of ignition switch. Make sure that locking tabs are fully seated into wiring connectors.
(3) Position switch to column and install tamper proof screw. Tighten screw to 3 N·m (26 in. lbs.).
(4) Install steering column lower cover."
Hope this helps, good luck.
過去 24時間: 1
過去 7 日: 9
過去 30 日: 64