I managed to fix the issue (for now) with some help from my brother. There are two visible components on the sensor, a resistor or capacitor and some five legged component labeled “PA3”, I figured that taking one of those off the circuit might disable the sensor while still having it plugged into the socket. So with some help we took the “PA3” out with flux, solder and a soldering iron and made sure there were no shorts on the circuit. ”ioreg -r -k AppleClamshellState” now always indicates that “AppleClamshellState = No”, even with the lid closed. So I can use the machine with the only issue being that I have to manually put it to sleep. Hopefully this solution will not cause any further issues. Picture below indicates the removed component before removal.