If I wasn't clear- mine is now 100% dead.
I carefully cut and pried- using a thin flat tool to cut through the adhesive all the way across the back without having to pry it to risk damage.
I removed the t6 screw and the 6 phillips screws holding the 'clicker' piece to the chassis. I used an alcohol pad to clean underneath it (there was an oily thumbprint from someone at the factory that built it).
I then put everything back together, cleaned up the extra "adhesive" (this stuff is really just like the gummy gunk used on address labels affixed to magazines, or affixed to the back of a credit card when it comes in the mail).
I figured these minor adjustments would leave me with a like-new track pad to use for many more years.
I figured wrong. .
Be careful! Even with care, it seems that some of these trackpads (like mine) are easily damaged during teardown. There was no evidence of any damage while I was tearing down, cleaning or putting it back together. I know my way around a soldering iron and this wasn't "my first rodeo".