To separate the display from the frame, I put them in boiling (or just hot) water for a couple minutes, and then gently pried them apart, starting with the thin edge. I put them back in the water every minute or so, since they were cooling off. All the adhesive stayed on the frame, and it was sufficient to stick the new display to the frame.
I accidentally tried to pry up the zif sockets, not the locking tabs, as it warns about - the locking tabs are the white pieces on the far end, not the black pieces over the cable. It took me less than an hour to do the repair, and I got the part for $85 direct from China. I also needed the display data cable from step 8, from the old display assembly - make sure to save it (it is in a zif socket, with retaining tab, on the display end).