I had only one adhesive strip available. I carefully pulled it out. The other two were stuck under. I used heat ( hair dryer ) and scrape technique. Instead of a credit card, I used the spudger. I think that was more effective. The old battery did develop multiple bends. Luckily it was so worn out that I could drain it to zero before I began.
Edit : Grammer + formatting
I second this finding. I too did not remove the screws nor the bracket. The cables look a bit stretched, but certainly not strained.
For me this was the most time consuming task. I used a hair dryer for heating. I found a very tight adhesive. For a moment I thought of abandoning my efforts and take the assembly to a professional repairman. But as they say, patience is a virtue.
After fiddling for about 20 minutes, I achieved a barely noticable opening. So I decided to change the strategy. Instead of applying heat all over the base, I preceeded with small steps with heat concentrated near the opening. I applied intense heat only for about 15 to 20 seconds and immediately working with spudger. It took about an hour to completely open the case. It worked.
Thanks for reading.
- Mr Gamma