See my comment below - I wonder if you have the same issue I did? The version of Disk Utility that’s bundled with OS X 10.13 was unable to see my new drive - although an earlier version was able to.
Very helpful guide - I ran into a maddening snafu with my new drive which I’ll describe in case anyone else has the same problem. In short, after installing the new drive (2 TB Seagate Barracuda, the recommended Seagate replacement drive from iFixit), Disk Utility running on a OS X 10.13 installer USB drive could not see the device (with “show all devices selected”). I was afraid that this was the SATA III issue mentioned in an earlier comment, but after a brief existential crisis, I tried booting from an OS X 10.10 USB installer instead (with the older, better version of Disk Utility). This old version of Disk Utility saw the new device, and after formatting the drive, I booted again from my 10.13 installer, and this time Disk Utility could see the device, allowing me to proceed with my installation of OS X 10.13. Everything seems to be working great, now.