Just finished this replacement thanks to this guide. Super excited to see my MacBook brought back to life. It’s still good despite being 7 years old.
I used the threading technique to break out the adhesive behind the battery. A lot less messy and risky than using the acetone I reckon. I only used acetone to clean up the old glue before putting in the new battery.
However, when I went to start it up again I noticed my MacBook was super slow. I then tried pulling the power plug to see what would happened. The whole computer complete shutdown.
Turns out the battery wasn’t being detected by the MacBook. I tried resetting the SMC to no avail.
So I opened it up again and noticed that the battery connected was only on half way and tilted to the side. I pressed it down firmly and it convincingly clicked into place.
Almost had a heart attack but thankfully everything is all good. Battery is reading 1 cycle and 6783mAh capacity.. super sweet! The MacBook feels like new again. Will calibrate to get the most from it
I used the threading technique as well. I had a spool of pretty tough sewing thread. But it kept breaking, so I tripled it up. Still kept breaking but eventually got through it.
For the 2 middle cells I had to thread the thread behind the plastic frame thing and both cells, but passed the thread in between the side of the frame and the cell. This was really tough and I broke the thread a few times.
After I was finished I just cleaned everything up with acetone (aka. the adhesive remove/nail polish).
Thanks for the awesome suggestion!
Mine only had the far right screw. Since the new battery came with another batch of ridiculous adhesive I didn’t bother fretting about not having the rest of the screws