Why will my phone only charge if plugged in while powered off?
The phone is an LG K40
Model number: LM-X420MM Rev. 1.0
Android version: 9 with April 1, 2020 patch.
Configuration version: 2.380001
Software version: X420MM10P
The phone just randomly started having this really odd charging issue where it will only charge under certain conditions.
WILL CHARGE IF;
- Powered off, and plugged in.
- Powered off, plugged in, THEN powered on.
- Powered on, plugged in, THEN RESTARTED.
WILL NOT CHARGE IF;
- Powered on, plugged in and NOT restarted.
Things I have tested & the results;
- Powered on; plugged into PC | no change not detected
- Powered on; plugged into PC; AND RESTARTED | It charged but was NOT detected by pc
- I attempted to change the USB connection type. It was greyed out as if the phone couldn't tell it was plugged into a PC vs a wall outlet
- This made me think it's it unable to tell if it is plugged into a PC so I tried the next thing
- I plugged into PC; restarted; tried to turn on usb tethering. | This too was greyed out.
- I attempted this on two different PC's with the same result. The phone is not detected by either PC.
I have since decided that it is one of three different things; the battery, the charger port, or a software issue. I almost want to even eliminate the battery as an issue since it holds a charge for a while and doesn't appear to have an issue. So it's pretty much down to a charging port issue I'd assume... Which I am okay with replacing if needed because I really love this phone, even though I am a HUGE Moto fan. I was looking for a repair guide and noticed this phone isn't even listed on this website. That's a first for me.
So, if anyone has any advice, troubleshooting, or words of wisdom for me and my odd charging issue I am all ears (or eyes) :P and appreciative.