Relay clicks, but dryer won't turn on
I’ve got a Kenmore model 110.78832700 natural gas dryer that’s stopped turning on. When you click the start button you can hear a relay click, but nothing happens. Before it stopped working you’d sometimes have to give the drum a push to get it to start spinning, so maybe I’ve burned out the motor?
If I’m lucky it sounds like my issue might be the thermal fuse:
Any ideas or things I should check? Or should I just start by replacing the thermal fuse and see if that fixes it?
Update: I disassembled it and bypassed the thermal fuse (I think), but it’s still the same behavior. I also broke the belt, but it looks like it was ready to break. There was huge amounts of lint everywhere inside the dryer, which can’t be helping it. I’m not sure if the next culprit is the actual motor, or ?
Bypassed thermal fuse:
Update 2 (testing thermal fuse, start switch, and door switch per @mayer)
Thermal fuse seems good, I have continuity over the contacts:
Start switch seems good, no continuity normally, continuity when pressed:
Door switch I’m not entirely sure on, I have continuity between white and brown when not pressed, no continuity when pressed. I’m not certain if this is correct, but I do also hear an audible click when pressing/releasing the door switch:
I found a troubleshooting guide inside the dryer! I haven’t entirely comprehended everything in here, but it includes a wiring diagram and it seems like a lot of other good information. If anyone has ideas on what to try next I’m all ears…
I ordered a belt:
and a motor:
I’ll report back after they’re installed…
I plugged in the new motor and it turns on! I also received the new belt and it looks to be correct. However, I’ve been unable to get the blower wheel off the old motor (and at this point I think destroyed that blower wheel):
Also, I think I’ve found the root cause of this whole problem, the idler pulley barely turns and looks like it has belt burned onto it:
I’m still in the process of figuring out how to get the blower wheel off the old motor…
Meanwhile, I’ve ordered a new blower wheel:
And idler pulley:
Once the wheel and pulley arrive I just might be able to put this all back together and have a dryer again!
I received the blower wheel and idler pulley. The wheel’s correct, but the idler pulley is the wrong part. It’s more-or-less a mirror image of the part I need.
Old is on the bottom and new is on the top:
I definately ordered the wrong part. Trying again, with what’s hopefully the correct idler pulley:
It might be fixed! I think I’ve got a little bit of alignment problem between the blower wheel and the lint screen duct. If I put the screws in all the way the blower wheel rubs, but as long as I don’t tighten down the screws it’s fine. I’ve also got a few extra screws…
Look at my dryer turning and burning and blowing!